Thursday, June 20, 2013

Current CarHUD Project Status

Since I've probably forced everyone away with boring engineering work, I figured I'd status the project.
I've been developing my SW on an Xubuntu 12.04 system.  It's all Python and is portable between the two computers (the laptop and the Raspberry Pi).  I've been working on and testing the code for quite some time and have had to re-write the way I deal with the OBD-II data.  I'll get into that in another post where I talk about trade studies.

I decided to go with a client and server approach.  The server will be a Python daemon script that runs on bootup (by init.d) and the client script will run when the user is auto logged into the OS.  Right now I have the daemon server code complete and two simple text based clients written.  One client is for quick testing and the other is for driving around and pulling real-time data on the laptop.

I'm working on how I want to display the actual data, my thought is to use pygame since I have old test code using those libraries.  The problem comes into play with the operating system, I'm not using Raspian, Arch, or Adafruits Occidental.  I am building a custom OS with Yocto.  I am going with Yocto for a couple of reasons:
  1. I can get a true read only root filesystem
  2. I can get a quick booting OS by stripping out stuff I don't need
  3. My uncle backed the UDOO computer on Kickstarter (my suggestion) and it will be supported by Yocto and we plan to install his UDOO into a 55 Chevy

The projector is big on my mind because I have to figure out how I am going to make my lamp system.  I came up with a pretty neat approach to it yesterday and refined/enhanced the idea today.  We'll cover that in a post sometime soon.  I do need to make sure I have i2c and raw gpio access in my Yocto build.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment